ACAS Location (Pico Del Este)
Ideal for the study of aerosol/cloud interactions over extended periods of time, part of El Yunque National Forest, protected by the USDA Forest Service
Pico del Este (1051 m asl, 18o 16' N, 65o 45' W) mountain top station at El Yunque National Forest, Puerto Rico
- Located in a tropical montane cloud forest, one of the most sensitive and vulnerable of the world’s ecosystems to climate change.
- Frequently above cloud base, thus facilitating the study of clouds without the need for aircraft and their related complexity and costs
- Clouds form under the influence of air masses from many different origins
- Cloud properties are tied to air mass origins
- Long lifetimes of clouds provide ideal measurement conditions